thetsinelaschronicles.blogspot.com

Linggo, Agosto 9, 2015

Hunting for the Independent

It was 7 years ago when I first watched a Cinemalaya produced film or so I credit to have first watched and admired an Independent film. The film (which title I forgot) showcased siblings composed of two adult men and one young boy and girl as they thrive in their everyday litany whether in school, coping with to live without electricity and eating sayote everyday (Sayote manen?). Hence, the film moved me because the film is situated in Benguet, my home province. I was a first year high school during that time and was very moved with the artistic fundament of an independent film. It is not as wacky and quirky compared to a Vic Sotto film, sure, but don’t you think you need to take a break from it? Think of it as your vegetables. It’s healthy, natural and it is a food for the brain. Internet was not yet an adherent necessity before, and so the butt pain of looking to every video rental store or pirated DVD’s still persisted. Have I been successful in gratifying myself with my new found favorite genre? Err… yes. If you ask me if I went retro to watch films of Mike de Leon, Lino Brocka and Brillante Mendoza, yes. That entailed me to keep tracks of their airing schedules on Cinema One. On the other side, No. I hear about Lav Diaz and the success of his work in Cannes festival but I don’t see any medium available for me to watch his work.

A little later, a high school friend lent me a VHS copy of Maynila: Sa kuko ng dilim. Yes, our post-loved Betamax was still working. After watching the thought-provoking film, I researched for the movie to help me delineate through internet (Yahoo) and two results I found interesting. The movie was regarded by Martin Scorsese as one of the great films of Lino Brocka. Sadly, the film was a flop since its first release in 1975.
My pursuit for the movies that I want was a principle of demand vs. supply. The desire to watch independent films is very strong but to watch one at will is a thin chance. I was lucky that my Filipino or history teachers were fortunate to pilfer a Patikul by Joel Lamangan or Melancholia by Lav Diaz and a numbered few as a medium to substantiate our lectures.

Prior entering college, my father brought me to one of the oldest and a centennial hotel in Baguio; The Casa Vallejo. Casa Vallejo houses the Pinoy Hipster Zest of a bookshop, hotel units, cafĂ© but most of all a movie house. The Cinematheque Baguio was there all along while I was on quest for Indies. “Meron palang ganito?” I said in my astonishment. Since then I enjoyed an occasional free access or with fee access to previous and upcoming indie movies but not exactly at will since schedules of airing would sometimes intervene with my class schedules.
Independent films may be a low budget cost production but the quality of its cinematography anchored with the right director is at its finest. The entities and the elements copulated in the film are explicit. It is dangerously depicted (due to my lack of words to supplement, I don't know what I am saying anymore). Lastly, the content along with the underlying societal truth will rattle you from your comfort zone. Plus, subtitles! Thus, the next time you watch an urbanized production or any material that emphasize glam, the thought will persist you again.

Then again, these independent productions are largely ignored. Try to ask yourself why? While you recline on your sofa in front of the TV, what movie during commercials do they air? Try to visit the cinema houses; are indies and mainstream productions posted on the same wall? Do your friends talk about the new Cannes approved indie?

screen grabbed form the YouTube based Channel Word of the Lourd: Make your own Indie movie
This may be an information-disseminating era but we don’t know enough of what we should know. It seems that independent productions are being banned from the stream of our consciousness though not purposely, just seems to be. Mind you. Why not? The pop is a multi-million cost and would at every chance to circulate their new production to their distributors. It is still business that will matter after all. I cannot blame them but I wish a few would reconsider to help these productions stretch out and reach to the many.  How the hell will the general public appreciate a small budget but ultimately astounding productions? After all, at this age I belong, a lot of the youths are craving for it. 
Anyways, thank you for having the That Thing Called Tadhana be released along with the mainstream.

Sometimes I wish not. Cinematheque Baguio is packed every weekends or holiday. I missed the solemnity of sitting alone having the theater and big screen all by yourself. 
Now, I can no longer stretch out my limbs across my seat. I take back all I said.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento